How to Turn Off Power to a Switch Box
Before installing the NOON Lighting System, you must turn off the power to the switch box locations where you are installing NOON products. You do this from your home's circuit breaker panel.
WARNING: Shock Hazard. May result in serious injury or death. Turn off power at circuit breaker before installing.
Turning off power to a switch box
Locate your home’s circuit breaker panel.
Usually, it’s in the garage, laundry room, or outside of the home close to the electricity meter. Some homes have multiple circuit breaker panels, known as sub-panels, that control different parts of the home.
Identify the breaker for the switch you want to replace.
If the breakers in your panel are not labeled:
- Turn on the light controlled by the switch you are replacing.
- Turn off the circuit breakers one by one until the lights turn off for that switch.
- Keep that circuit breaker flipped to the OFF position.
Test the switch to confirm power is off.
- Toggle the light switch on and off to verify that the power is off. Repeat for all switches in the switch box, even if you aren't replacing the other switches.
- Remove the wall plate and unscrew the existing light switch. Without disconnecting the wires, pull the switch out of the switch box. Do not touch any exposed wires.
- Use a non-contact voltage tester to verify there is no power running to any of the wires. Follow the instructions that came with the voltage tester to verify that the power is off.