Savant Integration Guide: Google Home - Google Assistant
|Document Date:||July 2020 (Updated)|
|Document Supports:||da Vinci 8.4 and Higher|
Overview and System Requirements
This article describes the process for setup and configuration of a Google Home device and/or the Google Assistant app with an existing Savant Pro system. For successful integration, the following guidelines and system requirements must be met:
- Savant Host must be running da Vinci 8.4 or higher Savant Pro runtime software.
- All Savant Host types currently in production are supported, including Savant Pro Hosts, Smart Hosts, and Savant IP Audio Products with Integrated Host devices.
- The Savant Host must be fully deployed, configured, and linked to a Savant Cloud account (Savant Pro App user) before connection to a Google Home account.
- Google Home and Google Assistant are supported for integration with both Android and iOS versions of the Savant Pro App.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Support is limited to one Google account per Savant Host system.
Google Home Setup
Follow the instructions below to configure Google Home for use with Savant. These steps assume the following:
- The user has a Google account set up,
- The user has a Savant Cloud account set up,
- The Google Home app and Google Home device (Google Home, Google Mini, Google Max) are configured and can communicate with each other.
If the Google Home device is not set up on the mobile device in use, navigate to the link below and select the "Get Started with your Google Home Device" option.
To set up Savant devices for use with Google Home:
- From the mobile device, select the Google Home icon to launch the app.
- Select the (+) icon:
- In the menu that opens, select Set up device:
- In the next menu that opens, select "Have something already set up?":
- Select the Search button in the top right of the "Add Devices" menu and search for "Savant Systems":
- Select the Savant Systems device option from the results. When prompted, enter the desired Savant Cloud login credentials and select LOG IN.
- Read the permissions screen and select ALLOW to proceed:
- Once the skill has been successfully linked, discovered devices are shown in a list. This menu allows for room assignment within the Google Home app. Assign each discovered device to its respective Home and Room:
- At this point, the Google Home device is now ready for commands. Speak any of the supported Savant Device actions to the Google Home and verify that the command is executed. Refer to the Supported Commands section below for reference.
Google Assistant Setup
Follow the instructions below to configure the Google Assistant App for use with Savant. These steps assume the following:
- The user has a Google account already set up,
- The user has a Savant Cloud account set up,
- The Google Assistant is downloaded and on the mobile device being used for setup. If the Google Assistant App is not currently running on the mobile device, it can be downloaded and installed through either the Apple iTunes or Google Play Store.
To set up Savant Devices for use with Google Assistant:
- From the mobile device in use, select the Google Assistant icon to launch the app.
- Log in using the desired Google account, or select CONTINUE to proceed as the Google account already registered with the mobile device (if applicable).
- From the main landing screen, select the User Icon (picture associated with the Google account used for login) from the top right corner of screen.
- From the User screen that opens, select the Assistant tab, then choose Home Control:
- Select the + option at the bottom right to add a new device:
- Select the Search button iat the top right of the "Add Devices" menu and search for "Savant Systems":
- Select the Savant Systems skill from the results. When prompted, enter the desired Savant Cloud login credentials and select LOG IN to proceed.
- Read the permissions request screen and select ALLOW to continue:
- Once the skill has been successfully linked, discovered devices are displayed in a list view. This menu allows for room assignment within the Google Assistant app. Assign each discovered device to its respective room, then tap DONE when complete:
- To test commands, select the microphone icon at the bottom of the Google Assistant main screen, then say any of the supported commands -or- select the keyboard option to enter commands in text form. Refer to the Supported Commands section below for reference.
The following Devices are supported for Savant control via Google Home and Google Assistant. Speaking clearly into the microphone, use any of the example phrases shown to send commands to the Savant Host via the Google device:
Hey Google, turn on <Scene Name>
Hey Google, activate <Scene Name>
|Activate a Savant Scene (shared or authenticated user) that does not include an unlock or disarm function.|
Hey Google, turn on <Room Name>
Hey Google, turn off <Room Name>
|Switch all lights in a specific room on or off -and- switch the last active A/V Service in that room on or off|
Hey Google, turn on <Room Name> media
Hey Google, turn off <Room Name> media
|Switch the last active media service in a room on or off.|
- TIP: The word media can be replaced with AV, or service.
Hey Google, turn on <Room name> lights
Hey Google, turn off <Room name> lights
|Switch all lights in a room on or off.|
|Hey Google, set the <Room name> lights to <percentage>||Sets lights in a specific room to a dimming level between 0 - 100%|
Hey Google, turn on lights
Hey Google, turn off lights
|Switch all lights on or off.|
|Hey Google, set lights to <percentage>||Set all lights to a dimming level between 0 – 100%|
|Hey Google, Sync my devices||Re-sync with system to refresh when changes are made to either a scene or configuration.|