Setting Up 3-Wire (No Neutral) Cync Switches
The purpose of this document is to show how to pair a 3-Wire (No Neutral) Smart Switch in the Cync App.
Pairing to the Cync App
Follow these steps to setup your 3-Wire (No Neutral) Smart Switch in the Cync app:
- Open the Cync app.
- Select Add Devices at the bottom of your home screen.
- Select the device type Wired Switches and follow the instructions on the app screens.
Remember, if you want your switch to control other Cync or C by GE devices (like plugs, lights and other switches), assign the switch to the same room or group as these devices in the app.
You can create a virtual 3-way/multi-setup with more than one smart switch by assigning them to the same room or group in the app.
- Selecting a bulb type that is non-Cync will allow you to control the circuit that the switch is wired to and any Cync smart devices that are in the same room or group.
- Selecting the Cync Bulb Type will keep the circuit on and only communicate with the smart devices in the same Room or Group via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.
IMPORTANT: Depending on the bulb type or the wattage of your lights, you may experience functionality issues that would require the use of the Bulb Adaptor (included in box) or the Fixture Adaptor (available through this Request Form or by contacting Cync Customer Service: 1-844-302-2943. For more information, visit this support article.
Why can't the app locate my Smart Switch?
Why did an update fail during setup?
- Make sure your phone's Bluetooth is turned on.
- Make sure the LED indicator on the switch is blinking blue, indicating that it is ready for setup. If it is not blinking blue, press and hold the on/off button for 10 seconds.
- Move your phone as close as possible to the switch during the setup process.
- Power cycle the switch by pulling out the airgap at the bottom of the switch then pus back in (Dimmer and Motion Sensing Dimmer), pushing the airgap at the bottom of the switch (On/Off Button Switch), or by removing the faceplate and pushing the pinhole button (On/Off Paddle and Toggle Switch).
Why can't I connect my Smart Switch to my home's Wi-Fi network?
- There are many reasons why a firmware update may have failed during execution. If a failed update occurs, try the update again. If that doesn’t resolve the issue, then one of these common issues may be the cause:
- Ensure your phone is connected to the internet using either mobile data or Wi-Fi.
- Check that Bluetooth is enabled on your smart phone. Bluetooth only devices need Bluetooth enabled to update firmware.
- Do not close the app while firmware updates are in progress. This will cancel the update.
- Stand closer to your device. When updating firmware, ensure you are no more than 40 feet from the device.
- If the Cync app can’t find your home Wi-Fi Network or your switch is having trouble connecting to your home Wi-Fi Network, here are some common solutions:
- Ensure that your Wi-Fi router is broadcasting a 2.4 GHz network; 5 GHz networks are not supported.
- Ensure that there is a strong Wi-Fi signal strength in the switch’s location. If your phone has a weak signal in that area, then the switch will likely have a weak signal as well. Installing a Wi-Fi repeater between your router and the switch can help improve signal strength of your switch.
If these tips do not resolve your issue, you may need to factory reset your device. Resetting the device will require you to set it up in the app again. Any settings, scenes, or schedules for the device will be deleted.